On July 1, 2023, Hanna Academy launched its inaugural school year as an independent California public benefit corporation, recognized as a federal 501c3 exempt organization. The newly formed Hanna Academy Board of Directors – completely independent of Hanna Center – oversees the new Hanna Academy non-public high school, exclusively serving students who have a qualifying Individual Education Plan (IEP).
Hanna Academy has recently gained approval from the California Department of Education to accept residential students at our non-public school. Starting on February 1, 2024, Hanna Academy will welcome student residents.
Hanna Academy's residential program offers an opportunity for youth who reside too far away from the school to live on campus while receiving an specialized education and support. With a student-to-staff ratio of one staff member to six students, our residential program goes beyond school hours to provide recreation and case management.
In order to be admitted, students must have an IEP and be referred to the Hanna Academy program by their current school district.
Supporting youth with special needs changes the trajectory of their lives.
That’s what we do at Hanna Academy: in a supportive and specialized educational environment, each Academy student is given the personalized care, attention, and career training they need to develop individually and academically.
Hanna Academy offers a specialized education, focused on teaching youth who have experienced trauma and are challenged with emotional disturbances or behavioral issues. Our faculty are experts in serving this population, providing students with a quality high school education, and preparing them for success after graduation.
Hanna Academy’s expertise in this field and our commitment to serving all community families in need have guided the school to transition, from a private institution to a nonpublic school (NPS), allowing us to serve a broader reach of students.
Hanna Academy accepts referrals for student placement via their Individual Education Plan (IEP).
Our school is driven by expertise in trauma-informed care: nurturing the mind, the body and student wellness. We can help transform youth into productive, healthy, compassionate young people who achieve success.
Hanna Academy Facts
- Hanna Academy accepts all genders, including gender neutral.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values.
- Hanna Academy is not affiliated in any way with the Diocese of Santa Rosa, or any religious organization.
- Hanna Academy is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), as well as certified by the California Department of Education.
- Hanna Academy has no religious instruction or religious programming. Hanna Academy is prohibited in law from advancing or advocating any specific beliefs.
- Hanna Academy has a duty of care to students, parents, and the community at large, and is comprised of 7 independent, educational experts, who provide objective advice and oversight to Hanna Academy’s CEO and leadership. The Board and CEO are accountable for meeting and exceeding all state and local standards.
- Through contractual arrangements with Hanna Center, Hanna Academy operates its educational programs on the existing campus of Hanna Center.